Posted by: Deborrah Sherman, Executive Director October, 5th, 2012
Welcome to our brand new redesigned website!
In this age of Facebook, Twitter, and mobile computing, the way organizations need to present themselves on the Internet needs to change and OPDI understands this also. Our website is now more interactive, visually-based, and accessible whether you are using a smartphone or a desktop.
OPDI has five over-arching goal themes that inform our annual objectives:• Promote the value of peer support & CSIs
• Promote the need for increased funding for CSIs
• Influence public policy and promote positive system change in Ontario
• Promote awareness of OPDI, its role and value
• Maintain & model strong operational infrastructure
The “sliders” at the top of our home page express those over-arching goals in perhaps less ‘dry’ terms, and, we think, tell a bit of a story while stating where we intend to prioritize our activities for the next couple of years.
The case for the value peer support has been made. We are, as always, at the provincial level policy and planning tables informing system change. Our recent move away from expensive office space in favour of home offices and a permanent desk at the Centre for Social Innovation has made resources available toward the sort of infrastructure that can benefit our members more directly, such as; this website, the new publication NewstoMuse; an independent consultant for an annual member survey; rebranding of some of our programming. Those goals now move down in priority for a while.
Now it is time to shift our activities and resources toward these priorities
• Making sure we communicate to the mental health and addictions field, and the public, just how important consumer-run organizations and programs are to providing quality peer support services and a well-trained and well-supported peer support workforce.
• Helping provincial and regional level decision makers to understand that more equitable funding to consumer-run organizations and programs will help both the MOHLTC and LHINs realize their stated goals of involving consumers in mental health and addiction program and research design, implementation, and evaluation.
Our mainstay content remains; we continue to offer the latest OPDI updates, and our weekly NewsToGo e-newsletter. We also are pleased to showcase the OPDI Peer Support Core Essentials TM Training Program with an overview of training content for interested individuals and organizations. We’ll be adding information on how to access training or work with us to set up a class in the near future.
Watch for member profiles, a calendar-style events listing, and automated member application/renewal/update functions in the near future.
So, check us out. And more importantly, connect with our members! We hope you will bookmark the site and visit regularly. Please feel free to send feedback to email@example.com and let us know what you think. Thanks for visiting!